Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sam Rodda Extraordinaire

We received shocking news this morning about the passing of our dear friend Sammy, aged 31. We met on the streets of London in 1999 and bonded immediately. Over the following years our friendship grew stronger, and I was privileged to share many great journeys with Sammy… to have met his beautiful parents and little dog with the cutest skull in the world in Cornwall England, for him to have graced our presence in Australia and met my family.

So many words come to mind when I think of Sammy… kind, sincere, loving, caring, honest, thoughtful, appreciative, generous and so much more. I was so proud of his achievements, becoming a renowned teacher in Hong Kong. Obviously his students felt the same way about him, as a news article reported that “As the news spread in the international school community yesterday, more than 600 current and former KGV School students joined a Facebook page titled "RIP Mr Rodda". On a separate page created in his memory, one student posted: "You made house assemblies bearable. You made everyone laugh. We were always predicting what colour shirt you would be wearing. You were a teacher, a mentor and a friend." Another student told the Post: "You would see him as a friend, but respect him as a teacher”.

Sammy, I’m glad we spoke recently, you were so happy, but I would give anything in the world for the opportunity to say goodbye. I will miss you dearly, will always love and remember you, and cherish the times we shared. You are an extraordinaire my friend, loved by many, and will always remain in our hearts xox